1937 Delage D8-120 Aerosport Coupe
- Brand: Delage
- Car Code: 210858
1937 Delage D8-120 Aerosport Coupe Letourneur et Marchand
In 1936, the Delage D8-120 was introduced. It was given a modified Delahaye chassis and featured an advanced independent suspension in the front with a transverse leaf spring. Power was basically a Delahaye 135M six-cylinder unit, with the addition of two cylinders. The resulting displacement was 4.3-liters and horsepower was rated at 95. It would quickly grow in size and in power output to 4744cc and 115 horsepower. The D8-120 weighed approximately 3,700 pounds, meaning its eight-cylinder engine provided enough power and torque to propel it to speeds approaching 95 miles per hour. Many of Europe's leading coach builders were tasked with building designs atop the chassis. The short list of artisans includes Saoutchik, Chapron, Portout, and Letourner et Marchand being the most notable among them.
Letourner et Marchand built the elegant Aérosport coupes which have been considered by many to be the most attractive of these creations. It is believed that fewer than twenty were created, likely fourteen, built in two styles - the sporty fastback, and the elegant notchback coupe, referred to as Style 5677.
Marcel Letourner was the individual responsible for creating the design of the Aerosport bodies and is considered to be one of the greatest French designers of the 1930s. The coupes had long hoods, flowing fenders, and a unique pillarless design.
Production of the D8-120 last from 1936 through 1939. The D8-120 created such a sensation that it was invited to join the French government's automotive display at the 1939 New York World's Fair.
This example is chassis number 50789. It is believed to be the sole surviving example of approximately ten cars that were originally built with the notchback coupe body. The early history is mostly unknown. What is know is that it was sold new in France. Following World War II, it went to Australia where, after time, it fell into a state of disrepair - although complete. It had been involved in a front-end accident, and its fenders were replaced with incorrect ones from another car.
Richard Scott of Sidney, Ohio, discovered and purchased the car. It was shipped to the United States and treated to a restoration in preparation of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. It was entered in the 2006 edition of the Pebble Beach Concours, where it earned a Second Place Award for European Classic 1925-1939 Closed automobiles.
Descriptions & pictures by conceptcarz & ultimatecarpage & en.wheelsage
|Country of origin||France|