1947 Bentley Mark VI Fixed Head Coupé
- Brand: Bentley
1947 Bentley Mark VI Fixed Head Coupé by Figoni et Falaschi
This is the only post-war Bentley bodied by Figoni et Falaschi. Combining the finest attributes of Bentley and Rolls-Royce, the Bentley Mark VI Standard Steel Saloon was the first model offered after the return to peace.
Nearly 80% of the MK VI chassis carries a surprisingly elegant, although somewhat heavy, steel body which was similar to the late Pre-War MK V Park Ward four door Saloon. Although quite similar, they were not as well received as the wildly successful 'Silent Sports Cars' of the 1930s. The car would, however, be well received by the well-heeled buyers hungry for new prestige automobiles.
Of the 5,201 Mark VI's produced, 999 were delivered to coachbuilders for special bodies. The most common were H.J. Mulliner, Park Ward, James Young and Hooper. Only one Mark VI chassis was sent to Parisian coachbuilder Figoni et Falaschi, which is this fine automobile. The prominent Parisian coachbuilder Figoni et Falaschi was a company best known for the aerodynamic yet graceful designs seen on Delahayes and Talbot Lagos. Their designs, influenced by aeronautics, became known for 'tear drop' silhouettes, pontoon wings, wing skirts, raked windshields and flush fittings. Ovidio Falaschi fancied himself as a couturier of motor cars, frequently rebodying a chassis multiple times until he was pleased with the results Claude Figoni, the son of Joseph Figoni, recalls when he took the order for this car in 1947 for a Mr. Rodrigues, 'a tall, elegant gentleman with wonderful manners.'
This car would eventually enter the United States in 1964 where it remained in California before being sold to prominent collector in New York. The car was stripped to bare metal and re-sprayed in a spectacular black finish which complements the double bladed chrome bumpers and graceful rear wings.
Descriptions & pictures is conceptcarz & bonhams & rmsothebys
|Country of origin