1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II ContinentaL Owen Sedanca Coupe Coachwork By Gurney Nutting.
This vehicle is an original, short-chassis Continental Drop Head Coupe by Gurney Nutting. One of just 18 PII Continentals built to the Owen Drophead design. Chassis 117 RY was ordered for stock by H.R. Owen Ltd on February 1st of 1934 and over the next month the chassis was delivered to Gurney Nutthing for mounting on its coachwork on March 28th of 1934. The first owner was Madame Ossarie of London's Dorchester Hotel whose name is entered on the original order. Mr. Goodyear of Hampton purchased the car in February of 1935. Its next owner was Mr. Stonor of Montagu Square, London and Commander G.M. Bradley of Mayfair Court prior to being sold to Mr. R.L. Broad of Kent in April 1946.
In the 1950s, the car was in the care of Herbert F. Bass of Columbus, Ohio. It stayed with him for many years before it passed to his son, Gary H. Bass of Westerville, Ohio who retained the car until 2007.
The car is powered by an overhead-valve aluminum-head six-cylinder engine that displaces 7668cc. Top speed is in the neighborhood of 92 mph and was built for high-speed touring use. There are servo-assisted brakes, a single-jet semi-expanding carburetor and semi-elliptic suspension at all four corners.
Descriptions & pictures by conceptcarz & bonhams & coachbuild
|Country of origin