1907 Maybach Mуtallurgique 21-Litre Three-Seater Special.
This fearsome beast was originally built in Belgium by Metallurgique and powered by a 10 litre engine. The story behind the modification goes that American onwer and race driver David Bruce-Brown was unhappy that his new car could not attain the promised 100mph. He returned it to Metallurgique, in 1910, were the engine was exchanged for its present 21 litre Maybach unit that they produced produced to power Zeppelins, developing a promised 1000 lbs of torque at 1000 rpm.
The car was brought to the UK shortly after WW1nd was owned by racing driver Ernest Eldridge at Brooklands before being sold on. It was rediscvered abandoned in a shed in Brundall, Norfolk in April 1951 by collector Douglas Fitzpatrick who continued to own and race the car into the mid 1980's, before selling it to its current owners
Driven at Chateau Impney by past president of the VCC, Brian Moore.
Descriptions & pictures by flickr & bonhams & psychoontyres & other
|Country of origin