Engineer T. G. John founded the Alvis company in 1919, when he acquired the rights to an automobile engine, and with it the brand name
of its aluminum pistons, Alvis. Manufactured by T. G. John Ltd, the first Alvis car - the 10/30hp - appeared in 1920.
Conventional yet well-engineered, the four-cylinder, sidevalve-engined 10/30 was unusual among contemporary light cars in having a four-speed gearbox. Beginning in 1922 and using the 10/30 as a starting point, newly appointed Chief Engineer Captain G.T. Smith-Clarke and Chief Designer W.M. Dunn created the car that effectively established Alvis' reputation - the immortal 12/50. The latter was powered by a new overhead-valve, 1,460cc engine. On its competition debut at Brooklands in 1923, it secured a legendary victory in the premiere 200-Mile event crewed by Harvey/Tattershall.
Despite the enormous success of the 12/50 and its derivatives, Alvis switched to an all six-cylinder range in 1936 and would not offer another four-cylinder power plant until the autumn of 1937, when the 12/70 was introduced for the 1938 season. Autocar remarked on the newcomer's smoothness of running, added refinement and lively performance from the 1,842cc engine, which was now rubber mounted, recording a highly respectable 81.82mph at Brooklands in their Hugh Anderson-bodied 12/70 tourer. The 12/70 was produced up to 1940, re-emerging post-war as the TA14.
Resembling the looks and driving characteristics of the sporting British motorcars that competed internationally in the 1920s and 1930s
Descriptions & pictures by bonhams & flickr & juricastricum